Sunday, October 10, 2010

Michael Rock


The Original Screen

Times Square 1919

Times Square Current


On Thursday I went to a lecture at the Manhattan campus by Michael Rock. He works at 2 x 4, on very conceptual and process based design projects. The part of the lecture I found most interesting was about the progression of the screen. He said that the idea of the screen started with the invention of plate glass and the installation of store front windows. But unlike current screens these images were animated by our movement past them and not there own independent movement. Then he showed how these "screens" or windows, and architecture were replaced by screens that showed movement on their own. He used the example of Times Square as illustrated above. I feel I'm simplifing his lecture, but it contained a lot of information. All and all very interesting and I encourage you to check out his website.



No comments:

Post a Comment